Sunday, August 12, 2007

Dreams Come True



Ever since visiting Kiev in May 2001, I've wanted to try sour cherry varenniki, the Ukrainian dumpling cousins of Polish pierogis. But alas, I never seemed to be in Slavland at right season and as I have complained before, sour cherries are far too rare in N America. Luckily, though, Dushanbe's supermarket chain sometimes stocks these frozen varenniki. Of course I'm still hoping for an invitation from some babulya for a steaming bowl of homemade ones, but until then these will do.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is why we should all live in Michigan (where something like 90% of N. American tart cherries grow). I was there last week at peak season plus one month--the frozen remains of the harvest was the best we could do, but the pies were delicious. Mom, Dad, JoLynn, and Byron say hi, Eli.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home