Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Ceci n'est pas des Frites


Before coming to Belgium, I kept parroting some line about coming to drink beer, eat frites and mussles and waffles and chocolate. While I didn’t get around to mussels, I did have some of the rest. The chocolates were undoubtedly impressive, but I’d had good chocolates before. Likewise for the beer. But the frites in Brussels blew me out of the water. Sharon told me about a place where you can choose to have them fried in your choice of 30 oils and fats. I was interested in going, but Sharon wasn’t sure where it was and seemed to mention the 30 oils and fats with a tinge of disgust. So I settled for a non-descript place, “La Frite Doree” down the street from a supermarket where Shar and I had some shopping to do. So there’s no simple way for me to describe how incredibly good these fries were. Maybe if Sharon joins the blog she can add her two cents, but all I know is that I kept saying “oh my god, these are so good. These are so fucking good.” Part of it has to be that they’re fried in beef fat. They guy also fried them in vats with different temperatures, though he didn’t really explain why. The mayonnaise on the side was nice, but tangential to the perfect crunch, perfect interior texture, perfect level of greasiness and perfect amount of salt on these fries. Truly magnificent. I waiting to see if anything in the States can top these.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home