Saturday, April 14, 2007

Pie, deconstructed


I'll count the caramel as a thing in its own right because I am .still. enjoying it. The recipe makes a generous amount, and Eli and I have been pouring caramel over apples, yogurt, and most recently Eli's delicious homemade ice cream, for weeks. The same caramel I made for this pie, which has gotta be at least six weeks ago--it is really still good!


But back to things...pastry cream was the next layer in the pie. Again, its own recipe in the book. But really pastry cream is only good as a component of another dessert--it can't stand on its own (like caramel). Although I did take a spoonful here and there along the way, just to make sure it was cooling properly. This was my first pastry cream and its a winner, even with soymilk which is what I used.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home