Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Biblical Cuisine


The campaign to empty the pantry continues. To advance this noble cause, I cooked the last of our lentils into this delicious and simple potage. I simmered two or so cups of brown lentils in three cups of water and one cup red wine. I threw in a roughly chopped onion, some salt, and pepper, and voila! I don't know... an inheritance might be a fair trade for this dish.

**Interesting fact: my grandfather wouldn't eat lentils for the very reason that Jacob cheated Esau with them. I think in the community where he grew up, they weren't kosher.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

What a weird annecdote about your grandfather. I always read the sale of Edau's birthright for Jacob's lentil potage as a square deal, and a reflection of the low esteem with which Esau regarded his inheritance. Or maybe the lentils with which Jacobs "purchased" his brother's birthright were SUPERVALUABLE lentils or even magic beans--a sort of proto-Jack and the Beanstick--for where would Israel be if not for those fateful legumes?!

Looks nourishing!

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home